You wash your face; it looks matte and flawless, but then by noon it’s an oil slick sagain. You wonder what is going on…You get confused as to whether your skin is dry, oily or combination. Look I have been there. It can be confusing to diagnose your own skin type. Today I will explain to you the difference between dry skin and dehydrated skin.
Before I begin, I want to mention that you can now receive 1 on 1 skincare coaching to get personalized skincare regimens and product information about any skin type. You can reach me HERE to discuss your skin concerns and I can schedule your one on one coaching session.
Will Oily Skin Make me Look Younger?
While oily skin types can be beneficial in the long run (since they say you age slower because of the excess oils your skin produces), it can be difficult to deal with excessive shine throughout the day. I struggled with oily skin for 10 years throughout my 20’s. Not only that, but oily skin tends to consist of breakouts/clogged pores. If you want to learn what your skin type is before reading the article, you can visit my article HERE.
There are so many products that are advertised to treat oily skin in the market today. Unfortunately, not all of these oil control products work. You have to be careful about over-drying or over-exfoliating oily skin. When your skin is oily, your skin will produce more oil to overcompensate for the lack of oil. External factors such as excessive facial cleansing, or use of skincare topicals can dry out your skin. Internal factors can include genetics and/or a hormonal imbalance/change.
You can learn more about oily skin and product recommendations to deal with this skin type HERE.
Oily Skin Can Be Dehydrated
Oily skin can also be dehydrated and dry. Dehydrated skin is a skin condition that lacks sufficient water. In order to compensate for the lack of water, oily skin tends to produce more oil. I know in my early 20’s I used to believe that if I wore a moisturizer, that my maybe skin would get oilier. This is obviously not the truth, and it is absolutely crucial to wear an oil-free moisturizer with humectants to help draw more water in the skin without clogging your pores.
Dry Skin Lacks Enough Oil
On the other hand, dry skin is a skin type that lacks sufficient oil in the skin and is genetically inherited. Those with dry skin may experience premature aging or eczema. During all four seasons, your skin will always feel dry.
Even though dry skin is inherited, there are certain factors that can cause excessive dryness of the skin such as hormonal changes, aging, weather, or certain skincare ingredients. If you have dry skin, I recommend oil or cream-based products that contain moisturizing ingredients such as plant oils, ceramides, and shea butter.
Dehydrated skin is not a skin type.
If your skin is dehydrated, it means it is a skin condition. Dehydrated skin implies that your skin is losing more water than it is taking in and feel oily and dry simultaneously. It is common to experience breakouts if you deal with dehydration because your skin produces excess amounts of oil.
Note that dehydrated skin can be a temporary condition and can develop from certain factors such as environmental, poor diet, improper skincare, or stress. Water-based products that include hydrating ingredients such as hyaluronic acid, glycerin and ceramides can help combat dehydrated skin.
Similarities between dry and dehydrated skin
Although dry skin and dehydrated skin have differences, some of their symptoms may be similar. Similar characteristics include: flaky, rough texture, itchy, dull, sensitive and/or tight skin.
Below, I created a handy chart below that you can save for reference. It is very important to remember to wear SPF 30 or higher daily no matter what skin type you have to prevent more irritation to the skin and further dry it out. Drinking plenty of water and adding a fish oil supplement can also increase moisture and fatty acids to the skin and help balance skin’s moisture content.
PRODUCTS THAT ARE GREAT FOR DRY AND DEHYDRATED SKIN TYPES
***Keep in mind that I may receive commissions when you click our links and make purchases. However, this does not impact my reviews and comparisons. As a licensed esthetician, I give my honest opinions and recommendations, in order to help you make the best choice for you.***
1. The ordinary squalene cleanser consists of no parabens, sulfates and synthetic fragrances. This gentle cleansing product is formulated to target makeup removal while leaving the skin feeling smooth and moisturized (squalene). Being non-comedogenic and soap-free, this formula is designed to be gentle enough for daily use, without over-drying the skin, making it suitable for all skin types. SHOP THE ORDINARY SQUALENE CLEANSER HERE.
2. IMAGE Skincare’s VITAL C hydrating cleanser—This creamy, hydrating cleanser emulsifies makeup and removes impurities while quenching skin with essential daily vitamins. Infuses skin with high levels of antioxidant vitamin C to brighten and hydrate as it cleanses. Ideal for sensitive, redness-prone, dry or dehydrated skin, and for post-treatment use. SHOP IMAGE REVITALIZE CLEANSER HERE.
1. Mario Badescu’s aloe vera toner soothes irritation and removes pore clogging debris from skin’s surface. This toner is perfect for dry skin since it is alcohol free.This toner by Mario has no alcohol or fragrances plus aloe is great for dry skin. SHOP MARIO BADESCAUE TONER HERE.
2. Rejuvenating Frankincense Toner-This 3 in 1 toner by NEAL YARD is alcohol-free, hydrating and a smoothing primer. Good For: all skin types including dry, mature, sensitive, blemish-prone, combination and normal. Frankincense essential oils helps rejuvenate the skin, and it also may help reduce the appearance of redness while helping to tighten and tone skin. This toner is great for skin types including dry, mature, sensitive, blemish-prone, combination and normal SHOP NEAL YARD FRANKINCENSE TONER HERE.
3. Mario Badescu’s glycolic acid toner-This toner is formulated Glycolic Acid and Grapefruit Extract to gently work to exfoliate dull skin and uncover your freshest complexion. The alcohol-free formula is easy on dry skin. LEARN MORE ABOUT MARIO’S GLYCOLIC ACID TONER HERE.
TEAMI Hibiscus Vitamin C Serum-This vitamin C infused serum works great for dry skin and absorbs instantly into skin. Developed with 100% pure plant extracts, this serum contains natural mineral ingredients which means no harmful fillers, preservatives or chemicals added and perfect for all skin types! LEARN MORE ABOUT TEAMI VITAMIN C SERUM HERE.
The ORDINARY Lactic Acid Serum. Lactic Acid is an alpha hydroxyl acid that exfoliates dry, normal, oily and combination skin and has an added bonus of hyaluronic acid 2% to help hydrate all skin types. LEARN ABOUT THE ORDINARY LACTIC ACID SERUM HERE.
TEAMI vegan Green tea detox mask is perfect for dry skin that is prone to breakouts. Made with organic matcha green tea, lemongrass and bentonite clay, they formulated this natural detoxifying mask to rid pores of impurities while replenishing the skin with necessary superfood nutrients. Learn more about TEAMI BLENDS GREEN TEA DETOX MASK HERE.
1. Acure Radically Rejuvenating SPF Day cream-This moisturizer has SPF built in with zinc and nourishing botanicals. It also is formulated turmeric, ferulic acid & vitamin C to hydrate, protect, and provide nutrients to your skin! LEARN MORE ABOUT ACURE REJUVENATING SPF DAY CREAM HERE.
2. GLYMED Facial HYDRATOR-This professional hydrator has many benefits:
Smoothes fine lines and wrinkles
Free radical protection
Lightweight, moisturizing fluid
3. HERBIVORE ROSE TONER- This toner has a base of coconut water is infused with hibiscus flower petals and moisture-enhancing rose to tone, hydrate, and soften all skin types (especially dry or dull). It is cruelty free. LEARN MORE ABOUT HERBIVORE ROSE FACE TONER HERE.
1. Supergoop spf50 for face and body-This water-resistant formula is perfect for everyday use on face and body. It’s fast-absorbing and lightweight, but with ultra-moisturizing results. Ideal for- Oily Skin, Mature Skin, Acne-Prone Skin, Sensitive Skin, Normal Skin, Combination Skin, Dry Skin. This vegan formula is oil, fragrance, and sulfate free as well. LEARN MORE ABOUT SUPERGOOP SPF 50 for FACE AND BODY HERE.
2. IMAGE Skincare Prevention+ Daily Hydrating Moisturizer SPF 30+-This sheer, mineral-based SPF 30 moisturizer absorbs quickly into the skin, delivering broad-spectrum protection, lasting hydration and antioxidant defense without a white cast or residue.It’s free of parabens and perfect for dry, redness-prone and sensitive skin. LEARN MORE ABOUT IMAGE Skincare Prevention+ Daily Hydrating Moisturizer SPF 30+ HERE.
Hope you found this article helpful. Don’t forget to pin this for later join me on Instagram for daily skintips HERE! Thanks for your support! You can also subscribe in the join section of my blog to become a part of my glamfam and never miss my articles.