“Not all skin is created equal.” That is a fact! There are 5 main types of skin types, and oily skin seems to be the common type. If you are interested in learning all about the different skin types, you can read my article HERE.
While oily skin can be beneficial in the long run (since they say you age slower), it can also be a hassle if your struggle with oiliness throughout the day. I myself struggled with oily skin for 10 years throughout my 20’s. I suffered from mild acne as a result. Today I will discuss 4 products that I recommend to combat oily skin.
Before I begin, here is a cheat sheet of factors that cause oily skin. Pin and save for later!
“Also Note: Some of the links mentioned on this page are affiliate links. That means, when you use those links to buy products, I earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. That way I can run this website for years to come.”
WHAT IS OILY SKIN?
What is oily skin? Oily skin is the type of skin that secretes natural oils. This allows the skin to remain moisturized. In the case of oily skin, however, the skin secretes excessive amounts of oil and can cause larger pores in the skin. Excessive oil production can lead to clogged pores as dead skin cells get trapped with sebum to form a plug (comedone).
EXTERNAL FACTORS OF OILY SKIN
Over-Exfoliation and Dehydration
There are so many products that are advertised to treat oily skin in the market today. Unfortunately, not all of the work. You have to be careful about over-drying or over-exfoliating oily skin. When your skin is oily, your skin will produce more oil to overcompensate for the lack of oil. External factors such as excessive facial cleansing, over-exfoliation, can also cause skin dehydration.
Envirnonmental factors such as weather or dust can dry out or cause irritation to your skin. Humidity and hot temperatures can cause an overproduction of sebum and clog the pores. Furthermore, pollution or the water you use at home or while traveling can trap your pores and levave your skin dehydrated. In turn, your skin will compensate for this lack of moisture by producing more oil.
INTERNAL FACTORS OF OILY SKIN
OILY SKIN CAN BE DEHYDRATED
It is important to note that just because skin is oily, this does not mean it cannot be dehydrated. Often times, oily skin can be dehydrated which is why it produces more oil to compensate for the dryness. I recommend to hydrate oily skin with humectants such as hyaluronic acid and glycerin. This oil-free moisture will draw water to the skin and help balance the PH of the skin.
Oily skin can be a result of internal factors such as genetics. You can blame your genes for oily skin. There is no way around it. If your parents have oily skin, then chances are you will inheret this skin type. Oily skin is characterized by larger pores and overactive sebaceous glands
Some of the main reasons for acne are stress, hormones, or diet. There are topical antibiotics that are great at curing acne in the short term; however, preventative measures such as a healthier diet can clear blemishes in the long run. 4 of the main foods to avoid if you’re suffering from acne: Sugar, dairy, white bread, and Salt. for more info on these foods and how they contribute to acne, read my article HERE
An increase in the production of hormones can trigger excessive oiliness. An increase in testorone or androgen hormones can trigger excessive amounts of oil in the skin. TheHealthy.com states, “Hormonal imbalances can be caused by everything from diet, exercise, birth control use and, of course, menstruation, pregnancy, and menopause.”
Below I list 7 products I recommend to help combat oily skin.
1. Option A Cleanser–Cerave Facial Foaming Cleanser: According to Cerave, “CeraVe’s Foaming Face Cleanser is for Normal to Oily Skin has a unique formula with three essential ceramides that cleanses and removes oil without disrupting the protective skin barrier.” The key ingredients in this cleanser are ceramides, hyaluronic acid, and Niacinamide. This cleanser is also non-comedogenic which makes it a great cleanser if you have oily skin. You can shop this cleanser HERE.
Option B- Philosophy’s Purity Made Simple One-Step Facial Cleanser: This facial cleanser is loved by all for its multitasking, 3-in-1 approach to cleansing. Formulated essential oils that helps lightly hydrate, leaving the skin comfortable (including rosewood, sandalwood, sage). These oils help soften, soothe, and rejuvenate all skin. SHOP Philosophy cleanser HERE–
2. Pixi Glow Tonic: I always recommend Toners to remove excess oils or impurities from the skin after using cleansers. Toners also help normalize the PH of the skin and balance the skin’s natural moisture levels. Pixi states, “Our 5% glycolic acid formula gives a deep yet gentle cleanse, leaving the pores refined and purified.” You can shop Pixi Glow Tonic HERE.
3. Clinique Exfoliating Scrub: For a physical exfoliator I recommend this 7 day exfoliating scrub by Clinique. According to Clinique, “The 7 day scrub is a dermatologist-developed exfoliating cream that exfoliates and refines the skin, as well as minimizing the appearance of fine lines.”
If you want your products to penetrate your skin better, you have to exfoliate in order to get a smooth canvas. Exfoliating is the process of removing dead skin cells from your face. It helps your skin look its healthiest, and is also a great way to prep your skin for face products. Exfoliating regularly can help your skin prevent acne or blackheads by unblocking pores.
You can shop Clinique’s 7 day Exfoliating Scrub HERE.
4. Boscia MATCHA Magic Super-Antioxidant Mask: Detoxifying and Brightening Matcha Green Tea Facial Mask, 2.6 Fl Oz —Boscia states the mask is, “An antioxidant magic-maker that feeds your skin a multitude of skin health benefits including reducing redness and inflammation caused by environmental free radical damage—with the antioxidant power of matcha green tea.. ” Formulated for all skin types.
As you all are aware, facial masks are a great way to treat many skin concers such as acne and oily skin. It is important to use a facial mask at least once a week to de-clog your pores and reveal brighter skin. You can shop Boscia’s Matcha Mask HERE.
5. Teami Green Tea Detox Mask: Use my code-THEDOSE20 to save 20% off on your order of $24.00 or more.
This mask dried out my breakouts instantly. It was easy to apply and glided on like a charm. My skin looked brighter and smoother upon just 3 uses. It is perfect for all skin types too!
- Matcha Green Tea
- Bentonite Clay
SHOP Teami Green Tea mask HERE
6. Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel: My favorite moisturizer is Clinique’s Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel. This moisturizer an oil-free gel that combines all-day hydration with skin-strengthening ingredients so that your skin looks younger and feels hydratee. There is a lotion version available, which is perfect for dry skin types. Shop this moisturizer HERE.
7. Glymed Facial hydrator: This hydrator is perfect for oily, dry, and mature skin types. Other benefits of using this hydrator:
- Lightweight moisturizing fluid smoothes fine lines and wrinkles and hydrates skin.
- Provides free radical protection
- Ingredients include glycolic Acid (10%) – aloe vera – hyaluronic acid
Shop Glymed Facial Hydrator HERE
I am happy to mention that I offer 1 on 1 skincare coaching! You can get personalized and qualified skincare regimens and product information. Just contact me HERE TO BOOK YOURS TODAY!
I hope these products will help you treat your oily skin and make your life a lot easier. If you found this article helpful, don’t’ forget to subscribe to my blog and share on Pinterest. Follow me INSTAGRAM to get daily skincare tips on the gram!